List of 42 Synonyms for Horse | Other Words for Horse
Here’s a list of other words for horse. Horse synonyms are very useful for writers and readers to know. This list of synonyms for horse will continue to be updated but so far it’s already one of the largest on the internet compared to conventional synonym and antonym websites. Enjoy!
Other Words for Horse, not Including Donkeys
- Palfrey – a compliable horse for casual riding, especially by women.
- Mule, hinny – the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse, usually sterile and used as a beast of burden.
- Dray horse, draft horse, cart horse, sled horse – a burly and formidable horse for pulling drays, carts, buggies, sleds, etc.
- Rounsey, rouncey – an all-purpose horse, able to be trained for war if needed.
- Courser – a swift or spirited horse, in any application.
- Destrier – a medieval knight’s horse for battles or tourneys.
- Warhorse – a big, mighty horse trained for war, whether it be modern or historical.
- Mount, steed – a horse being ridden or is available for riding.
- Remount – a fresh horse to replace one that is no longer usable.
- Charger – a swift warhorse or cavalry horse.
- Equine – any animal of the horse family, such as a donkey.
- Workhorse – could be any hired or draft horse, but typically refers to a farm horse.
- Racehorse – a horse raised for horse racing.
- Trotter – a horse raised for harness racing
- Packhorse – a horse with panniers, or any horse that is not ridden but used to carry loads, usually led in a line or tied behind the riding horse.
- Sumpter – any animal used as a beast of burden, including horses.
- Hackney – a horse with a high-stepping trot, typically a trained riding horse or carriage horse.
- Padnag, pad, ambler – a horse that moves along at an ambling pace.
- Grey, gray – any white or gray horse. For example, “Jon saddled the gray then spurred off.”
- Sorrel – a horse with a brownish-red coat or a sorrel coat.
- Caballine – an adjective meaning: of or related to a horse or horses. For example, “We called him Caballine Cam because of his big teeth.”
- Genet, Jennet – a type of small Spanish horse; also, a female donkey.
- Show-jumper – a horse that performs the professional sport “show jumping.”
- Chestnut – a horse with a chestnut-colored coat.
- Roan – a horse with a roan coat (two colors finely interspersed).
- Bay – a horse with a sorrel coat and black mane.
Hope you found this glossary of horse synonyms useful!
I use this list of horse synonyms as a helpful reference during writing and research. I will update it whenever I feel the need, so please let me know if I missed any horse synonyms or think something should be changed or improved. Thanks!
Do you enjoy realistic treatment of horses in fiction? Join my newsletter for book launch announcements in the future!
Success! You're on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn't process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.
2 thoughts on “List of 42 Synonyms for Horse | Other Words for Horse”